Monday, August 3, 2009

One good thing...


I read an opinion column over the weekend in which the writer expounded the benefits of a 'gratitude' list. That's a list in which you note all the things you have to be grateful for each day. It could be the smallest thing. For example, today I am grateful the course participants liked my presentation even though I messed up; I am grateful my daffodils and roses are still alive, etc. The idea is that the more you focus on the positive, the less room there is for the negative. Easy!

What bothered me about this concept is that some US self-help guru has trademarked the idea! Now call me vain, but I have evidence I came up with this idea some years ago, as 'One good thing...' i.e. at the end of each day you think of at least one good thing that has happened and that is what you will remember. B Has been using the concept for years to fight depression on the premise that if you say you feel well when someone asks, you will feel well.

Positive thinking should be free. It is free here. The Doctor is In and says, try it here for free. Don't waste money on the book. Spend it on someone who needs it to feel even better! Then just smile at the checkout operator and say, "I'm really well, thanks." Keep practicing, go to sleep remembering one good thing, and gradually the world will be a happier place.

No comments: